Were you injured by a defective product in Oklahoma City, OK? You may be entitled to compensation from the product manufacturer, seller, or other responsible party. Contact our team of experienced Oklahoma City product liability lawyers at Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers at (405) 497-0480 for assistance. We can help you fight to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and more.
When you hire our team, we’ll use more than 95 years of combined experience to help you get justice. We’ve won over $100 million for our injured clients since we founded our law firm in 2009. We’re ready to help you stand up and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Can Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers Help With My Oklahoma City Product Liability Claim?
Product manufacturers make a fortune selling consumer products. Unfortunately, they sometimes cut corners to make even more money, ignoring safety concerns in the process. If you were injured as a result, you deserve compensation.
Unfortunately, proving these cases can be incredibly difficult. These corporations have teams of defense lawyers in their corner. You deserve to have an experienced team of Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys on your side.
When you hire Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers to protect you, we will:
- Investigate and determine whether others suffered similar injuries
- Work with experts to identify the exact defect that harmed you
- Defend you when the insurance company accuses you of using the product incorrectly
- Determine whether you’re eligible to participate in a class action or multi-district litigation
- Negotiate aggressively with the insurance company to win a fair settlement
- Prepare to take your case to trial if necessary
Our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers are known for taking on complex cases. To learn more about how we can help with the legal issues, call for your free consultation today.
What Is Product Liability?
Companies that sell products to consumers are required to ensure that those products are reasonably safe. They’re also required to provide adequate warning about any dangers that aren’t obvious.
When they fail to do so and people are hurt, they can be held liable for those injuries. Unlike car accident cases, strict liability laws apply. That means you can win your case without proving any wrongful or careless intent from the responsible company.
How Do I Prove I Deserve Compensation if I Was Injured Using a Defective Product in Oklahoma?
Under Oklahoma product liability laws, companies that manufacture, design, and sell defective consumer products can be held strictly liable for damages. You don’t have to prove that someone was negligent.
Instead, you must prove:
- The product was defective
- You used the product as intended or misused it in a reasonably foreseeable way
- You were injured because you used the product
Most product liability cases fall under the category of strict liability, though some fall under negligence instead.
What Types of Product Liability Claims Are There?
Most defective products fall into one of three categories:
When a product’s design is defective, the product will be considered as such, even if it is designed according to specifications. Because it suffered from a design defect, the product will always be dangerous.
You may have to prove that a reasonably safe alternative design existed.
When evaluating the product, the courts will consider:
- The usefulness and value of the product as designed
- Whether the alternative would allow the product to function as intended
- Whether the alternative is reasonable from a cost perspective
- The nature of the product’s dangers as designed
Product manufacturers who fail to adopt a reasonably safe alternative design can be held liable when people are hurt due to that decision.
Manufacturing defects occur when products are manufactured incorrectly. These products are only made dangerous because of a mistake during the manufacturing process. Manufacturing defects typically impact a batch of products or even a single product.
To prove liability, you’ll typically have to prove that the manufacturer departed from the intended design.
Product manufacturers are typically only liable for risks that aren’t obvious. However, not all risks can be eliminated entirely. For example, prescription drugs can have side effects. The product manufacturer may know about those side effects–but, as a consumer, you’d have no way of understanding the risks.
Under Oklahoma product liability laws, companies have a duty to warn consumers about these non-obvious risks. If the company fails to provide adequate warnings or instructions about how to use the product safely, it can be held liable for damages.
Are Defective Products Common?
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, thousands of products are recalled in the United States every year. These products include everything from snowmobiles to children’s products.
In the U.S. alone, about 40 million people are injured due to products that have been recalled due to safety issues. About 46,200 people are killed due to defective products.
About one-third of all FDA-approved prescription drugs are found to have unanticipated side effects–sometimes years later, only after the damage has been done.
What Is My Oklahoma City Product Liability Lawsuit Worth?
You deserve to be fairly compensated if you were injured because of a defective product.
Important considerations when assessing the value of your personal injury case include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether you will suffer any permanent disability or long-term health issues
- The impact on your emotional wellbeing and quality of life
- Your physical pain and suffering
- How the injury or medical condition impacts your earnings
- How your day-to-day life has been impacted
Manufacturing companies and their insurance companies have deep pockets. They’ll work hard to minimize the value of your personal injury claim to protect the bottom line. Our defective product lawyers in Oklahoma City can help you even the playing field.
To learn more about the value of your product liability claim and this practice area, contact us today for a free case review.
What Types of Damages Are Available in a Successful Oklahoma City Product Liability Case?
Oklahoma product liability laws classify compensatory damages based on whether they compensate a victim for economic damages or non-economic damages.
Economic damages make a victim “whole” again, at least from a financial perspective. You should recover compensation for all of your past and future expenses.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Nursing care
- In-home assistance
- Property damage
Non-economic damages compensate for losses that can’t be easily translated into a dollar value, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Reduced life expectancy
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Calculating the value of these losses can be difficult. Our Oklahoma City product liability attorneys often work with experts in various fields who can help. We’ll also compare your case to similar cases in our fight to help you get the most compensation possible.
What Types of Injuries Can Be Caused by Defective and Dangerous Products?
The injuries you may suffer by using a defective product depend on the nature of the product and its defect.
Some common examples of product liability injuries include:
- Severe burns
- Head and neck injuries
- Eye injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Lung damage and other respiratory diseases
- Cancer and other diseases
- Catastrophic injuries
Defective products also have the potential to cause fatal injuries. If you lost a loved one, our wrongful death attorneys are ready to help you fight for justice.
Our Attorneys in Oklahoma City Handle All Types of Product Liability Cases
Any type of product can become dangerous when product manufacturers cut corners and ignore safety regulations.
At Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers, we often handle cases involving defective:
- Prescription drugs
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medical devices
- Household appliances
- Children’s toys
- Car seats
- Children’s furniture, including mattresses, bassinets, and more
- Airbags, seat belts, and vehicle safety equipment
- Recreational vehicles
- Roundup weed killer and other pesticides
- Vaper pens
- Construction equipment and tools
- Personal use products, such as talcum powder
- 3M earplugs
If you or a loved one were injured, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Oklahoma product liability lawyers to schedule a free case evaluation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit if I Was Injured Using a Dangerous Product in Oklahoma?
The statute of limitations in Oklahoma is two years in most personal injury cases. Typically, you’ll have two years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury lawsuit for damages.
That said, not all injuries are immediately obvious. Say you developed a medical condition over time because you used a defective prescription drug. In these cases, you have two years from the date you discovered, or reasonably should have discovered, the harm you suffered.
Contact our law firm as soon as you can to protect your legal rights and confirm the time limit for your specific case.
Contact an Oklahoma City Product Liability Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Defective products create a risk for everyone who uses them. If you were injured, contact Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers today. We’d be happy to arrange a free consultation with an experienced Oklahoma City product liability lawyer who can help prove your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Oklahoma City, OK also provides:
- Oklahoma City Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Civil Rights Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Construction Accident Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Dog Bite Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Product Liability Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Uber Accidents Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Workers’ Compensation
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK