Were you recently hit by a car in Oklahoma City, OK? The at-fault driver may owe you financial compensation. An experienced Oklahoma City pedestrian accident lawyer at Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, lost income, and other accident-related damages. Contact our team today at (405) 497-04800 for a free consultation.
Since 2009, our law firm has been a trusted advocate for accident victims like you. Collectively, we have over 95 years of legal experience. We have a proven track record of winning top results for our clients–over $100 million in settlements and verdicts to date. We’re ready to help you stand up and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Can Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Oklahoma City, OK?
If you were injured in an accident, you probably have questions. Who is responsible for your damages? How can you prove liability? Is the insurance settlement offer fair?
Our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers can handle the legal issues while you recover. At Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers, we have the experience and resources to answer your questions and manage all of the challenges you may face when it comes time to seek compensation.
When you hire our legal team, you’ll have a trusted advocate to:
- Help you understand your legal rights and options
- Investigate and collect evidence to build your case
- Determine who is legally responsible for your injuries and damages
- Consult experts as we determine causation and assess your case value
- Defend against any allegations that you were partly to blame
- Use our negotiation skills to reach a fair settlement with the insurance company
- Aggressively represent you at trial if the insurance company refuses a fair offer
Now is the time to take legal action and demand the fair compensation you deserve. Call our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys to schedule your 100% free consultation today.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Oklahoma?
Pedestrian accidents are a nationwide problem–and the streets are only becoming more dangerous for pedestrians.
In 2021, pedestrian deaths reached the highest levels seen in 40 years. According to a study published by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), 7,485 pedestrians were killed across the United States in 2021.
Oklahoma is also becoming more dangerous for pedestrians. In Oklahoma alone, preliminary data shows that 102 pedestrians were killed in 2021. That’s up from 86 pedestrian deaths in 2020 and 88 pedestrian fatalities in 2019.
What Causes Most Pedestrian Accidents in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma?
Oklahoma City is considered to be “somewhat walkable,” with an average walk score of 62. Pedestrians don’t always have the easiest time when they’re forced to share the roads with motor vehicles.
In the end, most accidents are preventable. They happen when people are careless or ignore traffic laws.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Texting while driving and other types of distracted driving
- Failing to yield to pedestrians in intersections or crosswalks
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Driving too close to the shoulder
- Lack of dedicated infrastructure to protect pedestrians
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Racing through intersections to beat a yellow light
- Drunk driving or drug use
- Fatigued driving
- Inadequate lighting
Of course, many different factors can contribute to the same accident. Vehicle defects, poor weather conditions, and negligent pedestrians can also contribute to a crash.
Our Oklahoma City pedestrian accident attorneys at Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers can help you identify all factors that played a role in your accident. Just call our law firm today to schedule your free case review.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Oklahoma?
Anyone who played a role in causing your injuries can be held liable for your damages.
That might include:
- Negligent drivers
- Employers of negligent drivers who were working at the time
- Truck drivers
- Government agencies responsible for maintaining crosswalks and intersections
- Manufacturers of defective vehicle equipment
- Other pedestrians or bicyclists
- Property owners who fail to maintain sidewalks in a safe condition
- Transit companies
- Bus drivers
You can count on our lawyers in Oklahoma City to pursue compensation from everyone whose actions caused you to get hurt.
What is My Personal Injury Case Worth if I Was Hit as a Pedestrian in Oklahoma City?
Every accident victim is in a unique situation.
However, getting hit by a car can have serious consequences. When you’re walking down the street, you have nothing to protect you. That makes you more vulnerable to the most serious injuries. More serious injuries tend to lead to higher settlements and verdicts.
The value of your pedestrian accident case will generally depend on:
- The nature of your injuries
- How much your medical treatment has cost
- Your anticipated need for ongoing medical care and rehab
- How your income was impacted by the injuries
- Whether you share any fault for the accident
- How the accident has changed your lifestyle, quality of life, and mental health
It’s important to consider both past and future consequences when assessing your case value. Insurance companies tend to focus on current economic losses. They’re counting on the fact that you don’t have much experience negotiating settlements like this.
The only way to really know how much your case may be worth is to call an experienced attorney. Our lawyers have seen similar cases like yours before. We know a lowball settlement deal when we see it, so we can help you fight for the compensation you really deserve.
What Types of Damages Are Available in an Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit?
Under Oklahoma personal injury laws, you can seek compensatory damages for all financial costs associated with the accident and injury.
These economic damages often include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages, income, and employment benefits
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
You can also be compensated for the harder-to-value trauma associated with the accident and injury.
Examples of your non-economic damages include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of consortium
Don’t be surprised if the insurance companies try to downplay the extent of your losses. Instead, contact a lawyer who can help you force the insurance company to take you seriously.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Pedestrian Accident in Oklahoma City?
Possibly. Oklahoma follows modified comparative negligence laws. You can recover compensation if you share some fault. Once your percentage of fault reaches 51%, you completely lose your right to sue for damages.
Say you were found to be 30% responsible for the accident. Your settlement or verdict is reduced by 30%, and you can take home 70% of your overall award.
Our Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Fair Compensation for Your Injuries
Pedestrians who are involved in car accidents often struggle with extremely painful injuries. Injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident have the potential to be severe and life-changing–especially if higher speeds were involved.
Our team at Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers often represents injured pedestrians who have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Knee and shoulder injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Catastrophic and permanent injuries
We also help surviving families fight to recover compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one. If you lost a loved one in a tragic car accident, contact us today for a free case evaluation.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Pedestrian Accident in Oklahoma?
The vast majority of personal injury victims must prove negligence to recover compensation.
Proving negligence means establishing that:
- The defendant had a duty of care
- They breached their duty
- The breach of duty was the direct cause of your injuries
Our lawyers always take the time to investigate before filing a claim with insurance. We’ll review police reports, medical records, and witness statements. We’ll also search for hard evidence from the crash scene, including video footage and photos.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Oklahoma?
Under Oklahoma law, you typically have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. After the two-year statute of limitations passes, you cannot pursue compensation for your injuries in court. There are exceptions to the two-year statute of limitations. If dealing with a governmental entity, there are different notice requirements and shortened statute of limitations.
Insurance companies require pedestrian accident claims to be filed within a reasonable amount of time. That means it’s always best to consult a lawyer soon after your accident to avoid missing important deadlines.
Contact an Experienced Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
The time after an accident can be incredibly difficult. Our lawyers at Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers are here to make things easier. We’ve already won millions for clients like you. Call today to learn more about how an experienced Oklahoma City pedestrian accident attorney can help with your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Oklahoma City, OK also provides:
- Oklahoma City Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Civil Rights Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Construction Accident Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Dog Bite Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Product Liability Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Uber Accidents Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Workers’ Compensation
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
Visit our Personal Injury Law Office in Oklahoma City
Highly Rated Emergency Rooms in Oklahoma City, OK
- INTEGRIS Southwest Medical Center – 4401 S Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73109
- Community Hospital – 3100 SW 89th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73159
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Highly Rated Physical Therapists in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma Physical Therapy – 10325 Greenbriar Pl Suite B, Oklahoma City, OK 73159
- Physical Therapy Central – 8200 S Walker Ave Suite 103, Oklahoma City, OK 73139
- 360 Physical Therapy – 1200 SW 104th St STE A, Oklahoma City, OK 73139
- Valir Physical Therapy – 8409 S Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73139
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed
What Our Oklahoma City Clients Have To Say
Read more of our Google Reviews.