Are you or a loved one struggling with a traumatic brain injury after an accident in Oklahoma City, OK? Brain injuries can be terrifying. They also have the potential to change your life forever. If your brain injury resulted from someone else’s careless, reckless, or wrongful acts, you may deserve significant compensation.
Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers is an award-winning personal injury firm with over 95 years of combined experience. We’ve recovered over $100 million in settlements and verdicts for our injured clients.
An experienced Oklahoma City brain injury lawyer can help you maximize your compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Contact our law offices today at (405) 497-0480 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to schedule a free consultation today.
How Can Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers Help With a Brain Injury Case in Oklahoma City?
After a brain injury, it’s important to consult a lawyer with experience handling brain injury claims. Cases involving head injuries can involve many complex issues. Medical experts and other specialists may be necessary to prove your case.
You’re struggling enough in the aftermath of your injury. If you’re overwhelmed and questioning everything, call our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys for help.
At Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers, we face off against negligent people and their insurance companies every day.
Hiring us gives you a respected attorney who will:
- Collect evidence to prove the at-fault party caused your injury
- Establish the extent of the injury and how it impacts your life
- Help you understand your case value and evaluate any insurance offers
- Call in trusted experts who can prove your case
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Handle all paperwork and challenges that arise along the way
Brain damage can impact your life forever. It’s natural to feel frustrated and confused. Contact our experienced Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys to handle the insurance and legal issues.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are caused by any type of external trauma or force, such as a blow to the head. Traumatic brain injuries can happen because of a strong shaking or rotation of the head. They can also occur when the skill is penetrated.
All traumatic brain injuries are slightly different. While they may share common characteristics, they’ll impact the victim in unique ways.
Initially, brain injuries are classified as open-head injuries or closed-head injuries. Open-head injuries happen when the skull is penetrated and a foreign object damages the brain. Closed-head injuries usually occur because the brain is jolted back and forth within the skull.
Some brain injury victims recover fully with minimal medical attention. Others will require years of medical care, rehabilitation, and assistance. That’s true even when the victims suffer similar types of brain damage.
Our Oklahoma Brain Injury Attorneys Handle All Types of Brain Injury Claims
The brain is a complex organ that can be damaged in many different ways.
Some common types of brain injury include:
- Brain contusions, or bruising of the brain tissue
- Edema, or swelling
- Hemorrhages (uncontrolled bleeding in the brain)
- Intracranial hematomas (blood clots in the brain)
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAIs), which is a tearing of the brain’s nerve fibers
- Hypoxia, typically caused by oxygen deprivation
- Skull fractures
- Coup-contrecoup injuries (injury to two sides of the brain)
Insurance companies often accuse injury victims of exaggerating the extent of their injuries. At Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers, we know how devastating a brain injury can be. Our law firm is prepared to fight for full compensation for the physical and emotional harm you’ve endured.
What Are the Symptoms of a Brain Injury?
The signs of a brain injury typically depend on the severity of the damage.
If you’ve suffered a mild brain injury, some of the most common symptoms include:
- Blurred vision or dizziness
- Ringing in the ears
- Loss of balance
- Trouble sleeping
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and feet
Victims with moderate to severe brain injuries often experience more serious symptoms, such as:
- Loss of consciousness
- Memory loss
- Difficulty speaking
- Changes in personality
- Dilated pupils
- Weakness on one side of the body or in the limbs
- Difficulty walking or moving
It’s always a good idea to seek medical attention after any type of head trauma. That’s true even if you haven’t experienced symptoms or if your symptoms seem very mild. Prompt medical care is often the key to preventing brain injuries from becoming worse.
What Are Some of the Long-Term Effects of a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Generally speaking, the long-term effect of a TBI will depend on:
- The region of the brain impacted
- The severity of the injury itself
- The type of injury involved
While all injured victims are different, some of the possible long-term consequences of a brain injury include:
- Memory loss
- Cognitive disabilities
- Loss of motor function
- Vision loss
- Inability to speak
- Loss of the ability to understand speech
- Loss of inhibitions and personality changes
- Developmental delays in children
- Post-concussion syndrome (PCS)
- Wrongful death
These physical and emotional consequences can also create ancillary problems. Many victims of severe brain damage lose their ability to work and earn a living. Personal relationships can suffer serious damage. Victims and their families often struggle with severe depression and other mental health issues.
What is My Oklahoma City Brain Injury Case Worth?
The value of any personal injury claim depends heavily on the severity of the victim’s injuries. Brain injury cases are complicated because the injury can impact your body in unexpected ways.
As we review your case, our Oklahoma traumatic brain injury lawyers will evaluate different factors, including:
- The type of brain injury and its severity
- Your medical treatment costs
- Whether you’re going to make a full recovery or suffer a permanent disability
- How the injury impacts your current earnings and expected future earning potential
- Changes to your lifestyle and damage to your quality of life
- Whether you need assistance with basic activities
- Whether you share any responsibility for getting hurt
Putting a dollar value on a serious injury can be difficult. Our lawyers often engage experts who can help with more complicated aspects of your case. Expert opinions are often the key to getting the insurance company to take your case seriously.
What Damages Can I Recover in an Oklahoma City Brain Injury Case?
If you suffer a brain injury in Oklahoma City, you can pursue economic damages and non-economic damages from the responsible parties. The types of damages you recover will depend on the nature of your injuries and losses.
Economic damages often include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages during recovery
- Permanent or long-term disability
- Physical therapy
- Assistance with basic living activities
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Medications and medical devices
- Property damage
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Chronic pain
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Victims with serious brain damage may require long-term care and ongoing rehabilitation. It’s our mission to make sure accident victims and their families recover the full compensation they deserve.
To learn more about the types of compensation you may deserve, contact us today for a free case review.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for My Own Injuries in Oklahoma City?
Negligent parties and their insurance companies are often quick to blame injury victims.
Oklahoma has a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. You can recover partial compensation if you were less than 51% responsible. Once your share of fault reaches 51%, you’re completely blocked from seeking compensation.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma?
At Laird Hammons Laird Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re prepared to handle any type of brain injury claim, including those involving:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Toxic exposure
- Birth injuries
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Swimming pool accidents involving near-drowning
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Dangerous property conditions (premises liability claims)
- Nursing home abuse
If you were injured in an accident, you probably have questions about your legal rights. We’re here to offer the legal support you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review with an experienced Oklahoma City brain injury attorney.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Brain Injury in Oklahoma?
The statute of limitations is a deadline for filing a lawsuit after an injury. Each state has its own law.
Under Oklahoma law, most personal injury victims must file a lawsuit within two years of their accident. If you miss the deadline, you lose your right to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Oklahoma City Brain Injury Lawyer Who Can Help
If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury, contact our law offices today at (405) 497-0480. A skilled Oklahoma City brain injury lawyer can help you fight not only to win your case but to maximize your financial award.
Our personal injury law firm in Oklahoma City, OK also provides:
- Oklahoma City Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Bus Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Civil Rights Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Construction Accident Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Dog Bite Lawyer
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Personal Injury Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Product Liability Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- Truck Accident Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Oklahoma City Uber Accidents Lawyer
- Oklahoma City Workers’ Compensation
- Workplace Accident Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Oklahoma City, OK