Our Oklahoma City DUI Attorneys - Experienced and Ready To Defend You
Know your DUI Rights
If you’re pulled over:
- Wait. Don’t initiate conversation.
- Don’t plunge your hands into your glove box for your registration and insurance card until the officer asks for them.
- Try to keep your responses to short sentences – even one-word answers – whenever possible.
- Weigh the pros and cons of taking a field sobriety test or blood-alcohol test. Under Oklahoma law you’re not technically required to take either, but there will definitely be repercussions.
A DUI Can Cost You More Than Your License. It Can Cost Your Freedom.
Penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) in Oklahoma can have a long-term impact on you, your family, your career—and your driver’s license.
Our attorneys are experienced in Oklahoma DUI law, and they will work their hardest to ensure your rights are protected. DUI lawyers at Laird Hammons Laird are here to explain the potential consequences after a drunk driving arrest, know which defenses are available to you, and design a defensive legal strategy to fight the charges.
Act Fast To Avoid DUI Consequences
Following a DUI arrest, you must take fast action. Call one of our experienced Oklahoma City DUI attorneys as soon as you can. Technicalities and procedural errors can mean the difference between freedom and imprisonment, but the longer you wait the more evidence potentially gets destroyed.
Consequences of an Oklahoma DUI Conviction
- Severe consequences even for first-time offenders: Many people are surprised at how severe the penalties for even a first time DUI can be in Oklahoma and how aggressively prosecutors try to get the maximum penalties. If you are facing a second or third DUI arrest, the penalties get worse. From the moment you see the flashing lights of a police car in your rearview mirror, Oklahoma law enforcement and prosecutors are working hand-in-hand to get a DUI conviction and maximum penalties.
- Criminal record: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not a traffic offense, it’s criminal. It can be a felony or misdemeanor. You will have a criminal record if you are convicted. You could face fines and possible jail time.
- Lost driving privileges: Most of us are dependent on our cars for getting to work and conducting family business. A DUI arrest in Oklahoma generally leads to an automatic license suspension before you even set foot in a courtroom. An experienced DUI attorney can argue your case before the Department of Public Safety to help avoid the loss of your driver’s license.
- Hidden consequences: In addition to legal fees and penalties, another costly side effect of a DUI is higher auto insurance rates. If convicted, the insurance company will see you as a liability. Some companies may even drop you from their coverage or deny future insurance coverage.
- Probation: After a DUI conviction, the offender will have to comply with the conditions of probation set by a judge. This could include community service, alcohol education programs, ignition interlock devices and more costing you additional time and money.
Common Reasons Oklahoma DUIs Can Be Dismissed
Your Oklahoma DUI attorney will thoroughly examine your case and determine what defense makes the most sense for your case. Some of the most common reasons that result in a DUI being dismissed are:
- Lack of proper jurisdiction
- Lack of probable cause
- Unconstitutional stop
- Inaccurate or improper blood tests
- Breathalyzer test results inaccurate or improperly administered
- Technical errors in police procedure (such as improper mirandizing)
- Reasonable doubt as to how much alcohol was actually in the defendants system
- Illegal DUI checkpoint
Get the Legal Support You Need
Trying to handle your DUI with an inexperienced Oklahoma DUI lawyer, or even on your own, can have serious immediate and long-term consequences. Get the criminal defense representation you need.
Contact us now for a free DUI defense consultation.